I got out in the shop a little this evening after I finished up with my "day job." I decided to experiment with doing raised panels for the doors I'm rebuilding. So yesterday I made up a poplar panel of the same dimensions as the actual walnut panel that will go in the door frame. And today I routed the raised panel profile on the router table. I think I like the results. The raised panels will add texture to the front of the piece. And when the door pulls and drawer pulls are installed I think it will all come together nicely.
One thing I have learned that has improved the quality of my work is to experiment with parts and techniques before committing whatever it is to the actual piece. Sometimes this just involves making numerous test cuts to make sure a tool is set up correctly. Sometimes it's more involved like with this raised panel experiment. And, oftentimes it involves having Cheryl (my wife) step back and take a look with her keen eye in order to give me her honest opinion.
My gut always tells me to be patient and go through the process slowly. When I do (like I did this time) I'm usually happy with the results. When I don't, quite often mistakes are made and/or the outcome is not what I had hoped.